Start a Facebook group they said…
“It will be fun…”
“Facebook groups bring in lots of sales…”
“It will help you connect with your target audience…”
Maybe you decided to start a group because your upline has one.
Maybe you started one because you have a product to launch.
Before you launch your Facebook group, there are a few things you need to know.
How To Make Your Facebook Group Work For You
Facebook groups became the place to be when Facebook started making business owners pay to play for using Pages.
For a long time, groups have been the starting mom entrepreneur’s best friend. What better place to hang out than with your real life friends in a secret group?
Groups turned ugly when people started adding friends to groups without their permission. It can get really easy to assume that everyone will want to hear about your love for essential oils.
Then that first passive aggressive post goes live…
“STOP ADDING ME TO YOUR GROUPS!”
Fun fact: when I started my first MLM I was actually encouraged to add everyone I know to my first group. Needless to say, it didn’t work well.
So how do you get your Facebook group to work for you?
10 Rules For Starting Your Facebook Group
- Don’t add anyone against their will- Enough said on this one right? If you “invite” someone to your group, it is the same thing as adding them. So for the love, please stop!
- Rock the host game- Recently, I have heard about a new phenomenon- hiring people to be you in the Facebook group. This is such a bad idea on so many levels. People in your Facebook group are there to get to know YOU. So be a good host and engage with your guests.
- Don’t just post your promos- We know you love your products. But if the only time I heard from you is when the next sale is happening- I lose interest.
- Get to know people outside the group- The better relationship you can build with your group members, the better for your business. Comment on people’s photos, share their blog posts, ask questions. It will take you much further than you know.
- Create rules- No one likes a lot of rules but you need to set clear boundaries for what is allowed in your group. Also set clear guidelines on when people will be removed if they break a rule.
- Fill out your group description- Make sure you fill out your group page description. This can potentially help other like-minded people find your group.
- Link your business page to your group- Chantel Arnett nothing like adding a little Facebook mojo to your marketing strategy right? Check out this great post from on how to link your page and your group.
- Monitor your group- It is super easy to let your group get away from you. When new people come in, if you aren’t careful, spammers can sneak in. Make sure you are checking in regularly and removing people/posts that aren’t in line with your group mission.
- Close your group- Public groups are viewable by anyone but you can get better engagement often by closing your group. Making your group private allows for more community and the feeling of exclusivity.
- Link on your Facebook profile- Don’t be afraid to invite others to your group by posting the join link on your Facebook profile.
Facebook groups can be a great way to connect with people interested in what you have to offer. By following my starter rules, I hope you are able to create a thriving, engaged community.
Tell me in the comments- what’s the best advice you would give to a new Facebook group owner?
And if you’re looking for even more great ways to grow your Facebook group- grab my quick start guide below.